Sunday, October 20, 2013

2013 Film Festival of Mongolia


These pics were taken at the Film Festival which I also attended last year. GI is the principal sponsor so all of us from the office are invited.  The first pic is of Naara  who is the Pres. of GI but also a former Soviet film director and the other lady is Gundi of our office who was the festival's interpreter.  She explained to me that she spent a year in Montana and someday would hope to return to the U.S.

Yesterday I went on shank's mare to the Natural History Museum to see the dinosaur exhibit. Unfortunately, when I finally arrived I was greeted by a sign that said it was closed indefinitely for repairs.  Then I was informed that the recently stolen dinosaur which was returned from the U.S. was on display in Mongolia somewhere so I start a search for that now.

Last night while travelling to the festival, I experienced the worst pollution I have ever witnessed.  At this time of year the 700,000 local citizens who live in gers on the edge of the city heat up their one room homes with low grade coal so the smog was so heavy that it darkened the sky although the sun was still out.  Many people wore masks or covered their faces to avoid the smoke in transit.  Once inside a bldg. you are OK (presumably).

Today I am scheduled for a hike of one of the low mountains surrounding the city.  The temp now is 18 but if it gets to 30F we go.  And so it goes...





No comments:

Post a Comment

I read all comments and appreciate your feedback.