Sunday, October 20, 2013

Hiking Bogdkhan Mountain





The temp got up to 30F by 11 AM so the hike was on.  Khaliun was my guide.  She is both an attorney and my principal interpreter and she has hiked this mountain of 7440 feet numerous times.  Her pic is at the top, then a pic looking back at the city as we ascended.  Next is a pic of me near the top.  This is as far as we could go given the extreme icy nature of the trails to the summit.  Tennis shoes are not the shoe of choice for going further.  We were about 500 feet from the top.

There is no danger here as we did a steady climb which is good exercise.  But we finally got into very icy conditions and after hopping around various boulders we could see no strong reason to risk any further climbing.  I will wait until an earlier time of year to do that.

The top of this mountain is where Ghengis Kahn lived during the months he was not fighting so this mountain is considered sacred here.  The next pic is looking back at the top as we descended.  And the last pic was taken at the end of the trail showing a number of gers at the start of our climb with the city itself in the far background.  We then hiked all the way to the city and found a restaurant  with good food.  I had borsch and she had stomach of cow salad.  I tried the salad and it is not bad (not good either by the way).

When I got back to my apt. in the late aftn I learned that the Red Sox won the American League Championship and saw the highlights on my laptop.  I am a huge Bosox afficianado which I come by naturally since Lynne's hometown is Boston and she, her Dad Lindsay and her brother Bob all conspired to mold me into a Sox fan.  In fact, Lynne has the Bosox license plate on her SUV.  Go Sox!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I read all comments and appreciate your feedback.