Friday, October 25, 2013

The Ger Dog


Above are pics of the ger dog that I mentioned earlier.  As you can see, he has his own little house.  Does he stay there when it gets to minus 40 F in Jan/Feb?  Maybe he is taken inside the ger which apparently is rented by a construction worker.  These shots were taken from one of our office windows and is just a couple hundred feet from the largest movie theatre in the UB.  At the present you can see the movie "Gravity" in 3-D for a cost of US $7.00 and get popcorn for US $ 1.50. 

Now for an update on my search for the Stalin statue.  I have learned that it was knocked over during the 1990 Revolution.  A sympathetic  hotel owner from another province  had it transported 60 some miles to his hotel where it presently stands in residence in the hotel's back area, an obscure relic from the past that almost no one goes to visit (including me because the road to get there is in very poor shape).

Tomorrow night I have been invited to Matt Hagler's Birthday/Halloween party.  He is the former Peace Corps Volunteer who will be turning 28.  He said that there are 130 such volunteers "in country" now but scattered all around this vast and open country. Who knew? Those who are in or near the UB will likely attend.  I hope to get some pics.  Maybe I should take the ger dog and really scare the bejesus out of everybody or then again, maybe not.

Also tomorrow I intend to go to the Zanabazar Museum of Fine Arts which is only three blocks from my apt., then on to the National Museum of Mongolia.As for work, all my lectures are prepared so I am ready to go with an ambitious schedule of planned events starting on the 28th.  And so it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read all comments and appreciate your feedback.