Saturday, September 22, 2012

A DAY AT A GER-Sept 22


Today one of the lawyers helping me, Burnee, took me to her sister's apt. and her sister then drove us in her Nissan sedan to their mother's ger about 60 miles outside UB.  Again, the road was horrid and the sedan bottomed out a couple times on huge holes in the road. The roads were dusty and full of large rock in addition to various gaps and holes so I was almost surprised that we actually arrived.  Her mother served us a fine Mongolian meal with hot milk and butter.  As I judge roads, this one was three times the killer road as the one from Minaki, Ontario, to Halley's fishing camp at the northwest end of the road in Ontario.  Cousin Mike knows we ruined an RV on that run so how did this sedan make it through?

The first pic is of her mother and me with a beautiful quartz clock that she insisted on giving me.  What a hospitable getsure.  I took no pics of the outside yard or ger out of respect for the family.  They felt uncomfortable with my request in that respect.  Their mother informed me proudly that she was born and raised "on the Gobi."  The daughters said that their mother refuses to live any closer to UB b/c she insists on living in the open air/range.  It is gorgeous but primitive out here.  I was also told that studies show that their is more pure oxygen out here away from all pollution than anywhere in the world andd it certainly felt that way.  It was 70 as opposed to 80 in UB with a nice breeze rolling in from nearby low mountains.

Next you see a photo of the meal itself, a combination of mutton rolled inside a rubbery pasta, kimchi from Korea, and Mongolian salad from a jar.  The Kimchi was a nice touch from my Army days in Korea and just as hot as h---.  Excuse me grandaughters.

Finally. a shot of the two sisters, Burnee and her sister both of whom are lawyers in UB. On the way back we stopped at at Buddhist Monastery that had been destroyed by the Soviets in 1937. There are two other sisters, one of whom is in Chicago.  All have at least a college degree. Burnee's sister also has a daughter in LA. So there you go...an educated family straight out of the Gobi. 

3 comments:

  1. Wish we were there with you. What an experience. Can't wait for you to share this with the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you might be a great author.
    I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will come back
    at some point. I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great posts, have a nice evening!


    Stop by my blog; recommended you read

    ReplyDelete

I read all comments and appreciate your feedback.